Notice To My Readers

A couple of months ago I wrote that my hiatus from blogging would be resumed, but I am sorry to say that did not happen.

For the time being, my decision regarding this blog will be that during times of crisis and G-d forbid, war, I will resume the live blogging..that is daily or hourly updating.

At present there will not be a regular blog posting, however, from time to time I will bring an update or comment.

My reasons for this retreat are varied, including taking up residence for a while in one of many Israeli rabbit holes......according to a friend - the safest place to be when Israeli politics become too mishugana (crazy)

I realize I will lose some of my regular readers and for that I apologize. I appreciate your loyalty til now. Please check the other blog site: www.fromthehillsofjerusalem.blogspot.com

And truthfully, I will come out of the rabbit hole from time to time.....if you subscribe to this blog and check your subscribe list, any updates will show up there.

Thanks & L'hitraot
Marcia Fremont

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Likud to Kadima to Likud Once Again?

What I have been mulling around in my mind the last few days was just published in the evening news medias: If Tzipi Livni refuses a unity government with Likud, then several key Kadima members may return to Likud - having jumped ship earlier when Ariel Sharon broke away and formed the new Kadima party.

I am appalled however that Bibi is still mentioning Barak to continue as Defense Minister (and for that matter, Livni as Foreign Minister). I am assuming he feels that under his leadership they would act differently. These suggestions are from the media and not necessarily out of Netanyahu's mouth, so whether they are really still true or not, we cannot be certain. One report tonight said that Bibi was even willing to give Livni veto power over government decisions. Such a position would certainly undermine and undercut the wishes of the electorate for a right wing government.

Bibi is rightfully very concerned that a strong opposition could block every move a right wing government tries to make. So, while a unity government has some advantages, it would have to be carefully put together. It seems to me that some of the good people in Kadima coming over to Likud would give Netanyahu the best of both worlds. An addition of capable centrists to his government would give the broader base he is seeking, but he wouldn't be stymied by the beligerence of Livni and Barak.

At the same time, Kadimas position in the opposition would be weakened. Bibi is still stinging from what he perceives to be his mistake in the late 90's to not form a unity government, but he needs to be very thoughtful and careful, not reactive as he puts this coalition together.

No comments:

Post a Comment