Notice To My Readers

A couple of months ago I wrote that my hiatus from blogging would be resumed, but I am sorry to say that did not happen.

For the time being, my decision regarding this blog will be that during times of crisis and G-d forbid, war, I will resume the live blogging..that is daily or hourly updating.

At present there will not be a regular blog posting, however, from time to time I will bring an update or comment.

My reasons for this retreat are varied, including taking up residence for a while in one of many Israeli rabbit holes......according to a friend - the safest place to be when Israeli politics become too mishugana (crazy)

I realize I will lose some of my regular readers and for that I apologize. I appreciate your loyalty til now. Please check the other blog site: www.fromthehillsofjerusalem.blogspot.com

And truthfully, I will come out of the rabbit hole from time to time.....if you subscribe to this blog and check your subscribe list, any updates will show up there.

Thanks & L'hitraot
Marcia Fremont

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Election Underway!!

Surprising the elections pundits, the stormy weather has NOT kept people from voting. By noon 23.4% of eligible Israelis have voted..up 2% from previous elections. Update: By 2pm the numbers are 34%. Mazel tov to us!!!

The mood on the street is upbeat, almost party like in places. I am hoping it is because people feel they really can make a difference and remove the current government and all it's trappings. Of course, here in Israel election day is a public holiday for many or most Israelis in the private sector (not mandatory however) and those who do work can receive up to 200% salary. Grocers and restaurants are usually open and and they, plus those in critical services (transportation, water, electricity etc.), are not eligible for the bonus pay. My local Mister Zol (Mr.Cheap!!) grocers is offering free salad or hummus if you vote. (no "I voted" stickers here in Israel - you just have to tell the truth!)

Lieberman has a very strong backing on the street. A good friend at my cafe was on his way to vote but unsure between Lieberman and Bibi. A young man just back from miluim (reserve duty), he understood the need for strength in addressing our challenges. After talking with him for awhile, he said I had convinced him to vote Bibi, but then he shared his own thoughts that Bibi was stronger now than when he was previously PM. He's learned to be strong, my friend said, and passed the test. My young friend is intuitive and wise, and I hope he is right on this one...I'm counting on it too.

A balygan in Umm-el Fahm, an Arab town in the Shomron. Conflicting stories are emerging about what exactly happened, but it revolves around Ichud Leumi's presence to monitor ballots and Arab rioting to prevent them from being there. Umm el-Fahm is traditionally notorious for ballot fraud. I will address this subject in a later post as the information becomes more clear.

I will be updating throughout the day and evening here in Jerusalem.

Guess I better go get my hummus!!

No comments:

Post a Comment