Notice To My Readers

A couple of months ago I wrote that my hiatus from blogging would be resumed, but I am sorry to say that did not happen.

For the time being, my decision regarding this blog will be that during times of crisis and G-d forbid, war, I will resume the live blogging..that is daily or hourly updating.

At present there will not be a regular blog posting, however, from time to time I will bring an update or comment.

My reasons for this retreat are varied, including taking up residence for a while in one of many Israeli rabbit holes......according to a friend - the safest place to be when Israeli politics become too mishugana (crazy)

I realize I will lose some of my regular readers and for that I apologize. I appreciate your loyalty til now. Please check the other blog site: www.fromthehillsofjerusalem.blogspot.com

And truthfully, I will come out of the rabbit hole from time to time.....if you subscribe to this blog and check your subscribe list, any updates will show up there.

Thanks & L'hitraot
Marcia Fremont

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Deadlines Approaching

For those not intimate with Israeli politics, following all the news stories regarding the coalition building being done by PM-elect Netanyahu must be almost unbearable. For those of us who DO know the political landscape, even just a little bit, the feelings towards the politicians and the process may range from frustration, disgust and anger, to indifference and laughter.

Perhaps you have read from one news source that Bibi is going to ask for an extension (the two week extension allowed by law), and from another news source that he wouldn't think of asking for an extension. Then, maybe you have read that Likud and Kadima are talking about a unity government again, but from another media outlet that, while some aides have talked together, there have been no changes in position by either side.

I am not so frustrated by the political process as I am annoyed with the media circus. The one that really got to me were reports within the same article that National Union was about to bolt from joining the coalition, and a few paragraphs later that they would be receiving certain specific portfolios.

The truth is that all these stories are pure speculation, gossip, sensational journalism, lashon hara, and more.

As we approach the first benchmark time of one month, it will be interesting to see what has really transpired in these last few weeks. Some of the stories have some basis in fact, others are pure fabrications.

For the general public, the long drawn out process is a given and with our present system, there is absolutely nothing we can do about shortening the length of time and lessening the suspense of the waiting game between elections and government. It is best to turn to the weather, the coming summer, the lingering winter, or....you name it.

Coffee shop talk doesn't even mention politics any more.. Shalit's return, yes, but the forming of the next government? ..... that's passé.

Many call for election reform, but to tell you the truth, I kind of shudder to think what the legislators might come up with as a replacement system. It could end up being far worse.

Meanwhile, buckle up, as we're closing in on the deadline. Then, and only then, the fireworks can start.

No comments:

Post a Comment