Notice To My Readers

A couple of months ago I wrote that my hiatus from blogging would be resumed, but I am sorry to say that did not happen.

For the time being, my decision regarding this blog will be that during times of crisis and G-d forbid, war, I will resume the live blogging..that is daily or hourly updating.

At present there will not be a regular blog posting, however, from time to time I will bring an update or comment.

My reasons for this retreat are varied, including taking up residence for a while in one of many Israeli rabbit holes......according to a friend - the safest place to be when Israeli politics become too mishugana (crazy)

I realize I will lose some of my regular readers and for that I apologize. I appreciate your loyalty til now. Please check the other blog site: www.fromthehillsofjerusalem.blogspot.com

And truthfully, I will come out of the rabbit hole from time to time.....if you subscribe to this blog and check your subscribe list, any updates will show up there.

Thanks & L'hitraot
Marcia Fremont

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Follow Up to Recent Post

I ended Friday's blog with some concerns about Bibi and how involved he is with the issue of internationalizing Jerusalem. I hope we did not get our answer, but following his trail this past week looks pretty darn scary.

If you recall, the major players in internationalizing Jerusalem and wresting it from Israel are Jordan (King Abdullah), the Vatican (whichever Pope is in power), Shimon Peres, and now, the waited for catalyst, Barak Obama. There has been a flurry of recent activity between these players; Abdullah and Peres flew to meet Obama immediately preceding the Pope's visit to the Middle East, where he first met with Abdullah in Jordan before meeting with Peres in Israel.

However, on Thursday, Bibi entered the picture. Netanyahu paid a surprise (meaning unannounced to the media) visit to King Abdullah - in Jordan's Red Sea port city, Aqaba. Immediately following that meeting, he flew to Nazareth to meet with the Pope in the Franciscan convent where Benedict was holding court, so to speak. (Interestingly, Thursday was the day the heaviness in Jerusalem was so palpable you could cut it with a knife)

It has now been announced that Sunday (tomorrow), Shimon Peres will meet with Abdullah and of course, on Monday, May 18, Bibi meets with Barak Obama.

It doesn't look good.

I cannot wrap my head around any scenario that would cause Bibi to push for signing over parts of Jerusalem to the UN and/or the Vatican. Can it be possible that he will bend on Jerusalem for the "permission" to nuke Iran? I am hoping that he is being summoned - and like a diplomatic head of state, listens - but that his answer will be a resounding NO.

As Jews we are to put aside our cares on Shabbat, and I did successfully pack this away for the weekend, but I admit I had trouble sleeping peacefully. Maybe it was many things, but perhaps this disheartening news was peeking around the corner in the night.

Nonetheless, I am not ready to give up on Bibi....yet.

And, ultimately, thank G-d, the Tanach teaches that Jerusalem will remain...where she is...in Jerusalem. (the prophet Zechariah). But then again, that's long term.

The real question is...do we care enough about Jerusalem to fight for her? Our immediate future hangs in the balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment